Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Days 1 and 2: Can I get some ear muffs?

Day 1:

Monday marked my first day off of the Cytomel.  On the whole, I felt pretty...normal.

It was, sadly, my first day out of work, and I opted to keep the kids home from daycare and enjoy the time with them while I still have the energy to referee toothpaste fights and emcee mini dance parties. 

Do you know the way your body feels when you're just getting a head cold?  That was the sensation all day long (minus the post nasal drip!); a vague feeling of maybe-not-well/sort-of-worn-down. 

In the afternoon, I took the kiddos to the supermarket.  Remember where I mentioned I have cold urticaria? Um. Yeh.  Multiply that by three or four now.  A 20 minute visit through the grocery store resulted in a hive-covered me.  My ears were red icicles.  My arms were itchy and swollen.  All I wanted was to buy my lunch meat and toilet paper and go home to my couch and warm afghan.


Thyroid Cancer Canada says this about the process of foregoing meds in preparation for RAI:

"‘Going hypo’ is a gradual process with symptoms (if any) increasing slowly over the six week period. The longer the patient is off of thyroid hormone, especially during the last two weeks prior to RAI treatment when no thyroid hormone is taken, the more likely the patient will experience symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Some Symptoms Associated with Hypothyroidism:
  • Tiredness, loss of energy, weakness
  • Trouble sleeping, nightmares or excess sleep
  • Puffiness especially in the face and bloating
  • Loss of ability to concentrate, memory loss, absentmindedness
  • Weight gain
  • Anxiety, panic attacks, irritability, mood swings
  • Depression
  • Dry eyes, skin and hair; hair loss
  • Change in menstrual cycle
  • Joint pains and stiffness, muscle cramps
  • Intolerance to cold
  • Constipation and/or nausea
  • Tingling or numbness in fingers or toes
  • Itchiness
  • Ringing in ears
  • Slight changes in eyesight   "


Check me off for the cold intolerance!





Day 2: 

It's 81 degrees in the house.  I am wearing a long-sleeve cardigan and drinking hot coffee.  My ears and nose fully believe we're enjoying Siberia. Outside. In the winter. Nude. 



There's this crazy crackhead I see sometimes walking along the main drag near the highway.  She always wears the same thing, regardless of the weather: fuzzy sweatpants and a thick hoodie zipped up tight, hood pulled forward over her eyes and cuffs yanked down over her hands.  It could be 115 degrees and she's rocking this look.

I feel we may be able to trade fashion tips shortly.


Is identifying with crackheads a listed side effect?




...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment